After watching the Intervention episode about Sara in the supplemental readings this week, I was curious about how she is doing now. If you are curious too, check out her update:
Who hasn't spent way too much money on a box of those cleverly packaged 100-calorie baglettes of cookies or crackers? Even though you know they cost roughly twice what a regular bag does -- not to mention that all of that packaging is a mini environmental disaster -- they do limit temptation. Plus, having a premeasured munchie to reach for when you're just comfortably hungry keeps you from becoming ravenous. "That's when you're more likely to eat the wrong stuff and too much of it," says Elizabeth Somer, RD, author of Age-Proof Your Body (McGraw-Hill). The snack you pack has another advantage: It's likely to be healthier than most prepackaged mini bags. Save your dough and satisfy your snack attacks with one of these treats. Lots are single servings; nearly all the rest can be popped into snack-size plastic bags and thrown into a pocket or backpack. No willpower needed.
5 Hershey's dark chocolate Kisses or 2 Dove Promise dark chocolate miniatures
2 fresh figs or 1 juicy pear
English muffin toasted with just enough cheddar to meltingly cover the top
1 heaping cup of cherries or 12 dried apricot halves
12 almonds
1 Klondike Slim-a-Bear fudge bar or 2 Dole frozen fruit juice bars
48 Rold Gold pretzel sticks
If you're pregnant and craving nothing but pickles, you can happily munch and crunch through 8 medium dills.
Left your snack pack on the kitchen counter? Somer suggests picking up a drink made with milk, soymilk, or yogurt. Our favorite liquid options: 1 Dannon Light & Fit Raspberry Smoothie or 1 Starbucks 8-ounce Caramel Macchiato, made with nonfat milk.
PAUSE.... for menopause
ACOG, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, has set up a great website dedicated to the health issues of women in midlife. It is called PAUSE, and is filled with lots of helpful resources for understanding and dealing with things like menopause. Check it out at: http://pause.acog.org/
The Faces of HPV
This week's reading on STD's allows me an excellent transition from Gardasil to HPV. If it is true that many people equate STD's with immorality, promiscuous behavior, and low social status, then I thought maybe it would benefit us to put a face (or two) with the name to see if our assumptions are correct... I'll post my thoughts on HPV later, but here are their stories... so you can "judge" for yourself.
What "snopes" led me to...
Today I decided to visit snopes.com to find an urban legend on a women's health topic to share. Being a believer in vaccines on the whole, I chose to look up Gardasil, expecting to "debunk" the rumors giving it a bad name. I was surprised to find that much of this "negative" information is actually worth taking note of. I have no intention of going "sans science" here. I'll cover that in my blog this week. I just wanted to post a few videos that I've encountered so far in my research to show you "what's got the wheels turning" this week....
This week in the news....
With our futures planted in the field of healthcare and health education, I think it is important that we are educated ourselves on the future of the system. In case you missed it, I've posted the President's recent speech to the American Medical Association on the coming health care reform and its economic impact. The second video is from a Today show report on the financial burden of our current system.
Perspectives on Women's Health
In conjunction with our exploration of women's health concerns, I thought I'd share the links to today's news release and corresponding report from the Health and Human Services Secretary. It details the oversights and dysfunction of our current healthcare system as seen among racial and gender divisions. Thought it was timely given our blog topic for this week!
Roadblocks to Health Care: Why the Current Health Care System does not work for Women
No comments:
Post a Comment