Thursday, July 23, 2009
Putting the pieces together...Diabetes, Food Inc., and Healthcare Reform
This week as we studied chronic illness, I gave some thought to diabetes. Because it is a part of my family medical history and affects the lives of several of my friends, I was already fairly educated about the how, when, why, and where of the disease itself. But it wasn't until after I saw the film Food, Inc. on Tuesday that I began to put together a few of the pieces I had been missing. With healthcare reform on the front page these days, you would think someone would start to take a look at the root of poor health in America. If "nutrition reform" was mandated, the burden on our healthcare system would be reduced dramatically. Think of all the people who would be free of the chronic illnesses like diabetes that stem specifically from their poor nutrition... we would save millions without changing a single healthcare policy! Not to mention bettering the lives of our families, friends, and communities... That is what I call reform! I'm far from a "bandwagon" person, but I really think this is one of those films that can teach everyone something. I wish it was in wide release instead of just independent so more people would see it. It was a bit overwhelming to realize how lax the government is in securing a safe food supply for us. When those charged with protecting us have their hands "in the cookie jar", we lose to their personal gain. It was outrageous and sad to realize that a handful of food production companies not only monopolize the industry, but also have more protection under the law than we the consumers do. The film made clear to me why so much of our nation is more overweight and unhealthy than ever before. It points out that over 80% of the food available to us contains some sort of corn product. Additives that you probably don't even know come from corn. And the beef, chicken, pork, and even some of the fish we consume are corn fed. This fattens them up quicker so they can be sold quicker. And what do you think has been happening to our population over the last 40 years as a result of this practice? Surprise! We too, are not only fatter, but sicker. Type 2 diabetes is a direct result of being overweight and having poor nutrition, and the number of people affected by it has skyrocketed over the last 40 years too. That fact is bad enough, but what nutritional recourse do those affected by it have? What is the number one food group diabetics should try to moderate? Carbs....i.e.Corn! Yes, there are still healthy food choices left in the world, despite it all, but tell that to those whose budgets leave them restricted to items that come in under the $1.00 mark. This should be on the forefront of reform. I think the film has a substantial educational value and supports a worthy cause. I hope all of you will take the time to see it and do your part for yourselves and those you love. We can change(check out the movie's website) for the better... and we could possibly cure Type 2 diabetes in the process... even if it is one person at a time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Amanda, Thank you for your reflection of the film, Food, Inc. I have not viewed it, but your blog has encouraged me to do so as soon as possible! I totally agree that healthcare reform HAS to start at the root of the problem - which is our nutritional ways of today's society. Responsibility of good nutrition should not only be the consumer's but also the food industry as well.
ReplyDeleteAmanda,
ReplyDeleteI saw the movie Food Inc as well and it has changed my entire view of our food and system as a whole. Look at all the overweight people out there who are on Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig. They are eating these tiny portions of food, practically starving themselves and still hardly losing weight! Their bodies are not being "fed" proper nutrition. Some poeple think overweight people simply have poor self-control and eat too much. If our food actually had the nutrition we need, we could eat more, feel more full and satisfied, and STILL lose weight - and be healthier! It is not all about controlling our portions (that is a part of it), it is about getting what our bodies need to function right. Then we would have energy, be thinner, and have less diseases (including mental diseases). Our bodies are literally dying for nutrition and the people who are supposed to be helping are only making it worse!
Audra Jones
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI really wanna watch this now! I completely agree with you. Our healthcare system needs to be more about PREVENTION instead of treatment! This includes nutrition! I always think that people know how bad our eating habits are, but in reality many Americans don't have any idea what they are putting in their bodies and what the effects are! Great job!
Tristan
p.s- you were right! it was captain planet lol :)