This week I was most moved by the video of the conditions of the people of Haiti and their struggle to survive in a workforce dominated by companies who seem to place profits above human need. As a mother, it was hard to watch, imagining not being able to provide basic food and shelter for my daughter. As an American, it was disappointing and shameful. Companies like Disney are undoubtedly able to provide the meager living wage and respectable working conditions these people so desperately need. Even "charitable contributions" to a fund in their name could be written off without costing them a dime in profits!
It is even more disheartening to know that with the obvious contributions that American companies are making to worsen the conditions, our government does little to restrict their inhumanity. Check out the U.S. Department of State's webpage on the topic: http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2006/78895.htm
Ironically on the very same day that I watched these videos, I happened to visit a local Disney store with my daughter. I wish I had seen the videos first... We left the store with an adorable set of Minnie Mouse dinnerware for her, and everytime I see it in the kitchen now, I think of the starving Haitian kids from the videos. It just makes me sick....
Since the videos are a few years old, I have been curious about the current conditions in the country. Below is a two part video documenting a recent investigative trip by a delegation from the Industrial Workers of the World. I wish I could say it made me feel better...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment