Saturday, June 27, 2009

A lasting impression...

Several times a week I encounter the opportunity to speak with victims of cervical, uterine, and ovarian cancer. I commonly assist two gyn-oncology surgeons with the operations to help treat them, and am well aware of the broad spectrum of women these affect. Having been pro traditional childhood vaccines, and having faith in the community of medical research, I had high hope that a "cervical cancer vaccine" was the beginning to the end of these types of "female cancers". This week I started out thinking that snopes.com was going to help me "defend the good of Gardasil". It ends with me feeling the sorrow and regret of other mothers, outrage at the clever deception of misleading medical marketing, and with the lasting impression of stories like Gabby's.
I promised early this week to really investigate "the science", and I did. I read the actual statistical reports by the CDC that were quoted by the Director of The Health Sciences Institute in the video I posted. I read the product information on Merck's website. I also read the NVIC's (National Vaccine Information Center) risk report from February 2009. I read everything I could find... because I have a daughter. And you know what I found? Enough information to justify my new found suspicion that Gabby's story (and the many others like her that I came across this week) is needlessly tragic. I am posting the links to the science here because you are entitled to draw your own conclusions, but let me pose a few final questions to you... Is it likely that your 9, 10, 11, or 12 year old daughter is sexually active? Does a person who is not sexually active need a vaccine (with known associated risks including death) for a sexually transmitted disease? If given education and resources regarding safe sex practices, what are the chances that your sexually active teenage/young adult daughter will contract HPV? What are the odds that even after contracting one or more of the 18 strands of HPV, your daughter will actually be further diagnosed with cervical cancer? And if she does develop cervical cancer, could she be one of the over 90% that through treatment are cured? Yes, many have endured the vaccine with "minimal side effects", but how do you know if your daughter will be one of the lucky ones? It's alot to think about, but my daughter's health and well being are my number one priority. HPV is not a childhood illness, and neither is cervical cancer. I believe that when the time comes, she deserves to have a voice in a choice that could drastically change her life. Given the possible consequences, I don't believe any child should have this decision mandated for them, either by formal legislation, or by a misinformed parent with good intentions. From communication to education to preventative healthcare like pap smears, there is so much more we can do to protect our daughters from cervical cancer. Read the science... Be informed... And learn, like I did, from those who have walked the path ahead of you...

CDC Report: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/acip/downloads/mtg-slides-oct08/12-3-hpv.pdf

NCIV Report: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?
ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090209005358&newsLang=en

Merck Website: http://www.gardasil.com/

1 comment:

  1. It would seem that I have seen the Gardasil commercial on television dozens of times. The presentation of mother and daughter hits a certain soft spot on a person, therefore resulting in excellent PR. However, I was completely unaware of the flip side until I read through your blog. It is amazing what a little research can result in. My heart goes out to those who have suffered negative side effects as a result of the vaccine. I really just want to commend you for putting forth so much effort to research in order to seek out a decision that you were comfortable with concerning your daughter. You have succeeded to plant a reasonable doubt in MY mind!

    ReplyDelete